Thank you for your interest in Poecology. The submission period for Issue 5 is now open. Submit online for free through Submittable. Please read the following guidelines carefully before submitting your work.
- Submit up to 8 pages of unpublished poetry or 2,500 words of fiction or nonfiction in one file.
- Click here to submit using Submittable. We do not accept emailed submissions.
- Submitted work should focus on place-based, environmental, and/or ecological themes. These themes can be treated directly or abstractly. Place-based work that is accepted for publication in Poecology will also appear on the Literary Locator.
- Experimental work, international writers, and marginalized perspectives are encouraged.
- Simultaneous submissions are ok, but please contact us through your Submittable account if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- Multiple submissions are not accepted; please wait for a reply before submitting again.
- At this time, we do not consider previously published work.
- Please include a short bio in Submittable.
- If your work is chosen for publication, we ask for first electronic serial rights. All rights revert to the author(s) after publication.
- Unfortunately we are unable to offer compensation for the work we publish.
- Due to the volume of submissions, we are unable to offer personal feedback on submitted work.
Our response time is currently 3-4 months. If 4 months have passed, feel free to query. Thanks for your patience. Our staff is small and we read every submission carefully.
Using the Blog Submissions category, submit one article of no more than 2,000 words. At this time, we do not consider previously published articles. Blog articles should incorporate a discussion of ecoliterature and engage with theme(s) or place, ecology, and/or environment. Submissions are accepted year-round. Simultaneous submissions are ok, but please contact us if your work is accepted elsewhere. Please wait for a reply before submitting again. Include a short bio in the separate box on the submissions page. If your work is chosen for publication, we ask for first electronic serial rights. All rights revert to the author(s) after publication. Unfortunately we are unable to offer compensation for the articles we publish.
Cover Art Submissions
We accept submissions of fine art and photography to be used as cover art for the annual issues of Poecology. Submit pieces is one file and include a link to your online portfolio space. By submitting, you confirm that the pieces submitted are your original, unpublished work. If selected for publication, we will ask you to provide a high resolution .jpg or .png file. Unfortunately we are unable to offer compensation for the artwork we publish.
Literary Locator Submissions
Submissions to the Literary Locator are currently closed as we work through a backlog. Check back soon.