Thank you for your interest in Poecology. The deadline for Issue 4 submissions is May 31, 2014. Please read the following guidelines carefully.
- Submit online for free through Submittable. We no longer read submissions by email.
- Submit up to 8 pages of unpublished poetry, fiction, or nonfiction in one file. If this is an excerpt of a longer piece, please let us know. At this time, we do not consider previously published work.
- Please include a short bio in the separate box on the submissions page.
- Submitted work should focus on place-based, environmental, and/or ecological themes. These themes can be treated directly or abstractly. Place-based work that is accepted for publication in Poecology will also appear on the Literary Locator.
- Experimental work, international writers, and marginalized perspectives are encouraged.
- Simultaneous submissions are ok, but please contact us through your Submittable account if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- Multiple submissions are not accepted; please wait for a reply before submitting again.
- If your work is chosen for publication, we ask for first electronic serial rights. All rights revert to the author(s) after publication.
- Unfortunately we are unable to offer compensation for the work we publish.
Our response time is currently 3 to 4 months. If 4 months have passed, feel free to query. Our staff is small and we read every submission carefully.
Literary Locator Submissions
We accept submissions of poetry, fiction, and nonfiction (previously published online) to be included on the Literary Locator map. Please read the following guidelines carefully.
- Submissions can be made through an online form available here. Submissions are free.
- We accept works that focus on a specific place, or in which place is a significant element of the work.
- You may submit as many pieces as you like, so long as they follow our guidelines and you use a separate submission form for each piece.
- Priority will be given to works published by third-party online parties such as literary magazines, journals, news outlets, etc. Self-published works are not accepted at this time.
- You may nominate works in the public domain for inclusion on the map.
- All place-based work accepted for publication in Poecology will be added to the Literary Locator.
- It may take up to 4 weeks for works to appear on the Literary Locator. Please do not query submissions to the map. Due to the volume of requests, we will do our best to accommodate all Literary Locator submissions, but reserve the right to pass on works that do not meet these guidelines.
Have a question? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact us here.
The Editorial Team at Poecology